Innovation implements Responsive Classroom. Responsive Classroom is a student-centered, social, and emotional learning approach to teaching and discipline. It is comprised of a set of research- and evidence-based practices designed to create safe, joyful, and engaging classrooms and school communities for both students and teachers. Our school administration prioritizes daily morning meetings and closing circles, provides regular professional learning on reinforcing, redirecting, and reminding language, and frames explicit instruction of social skills via the acronym C.A.R.E.S.
- Cooperation: includes working smoothly with others, as well as working collaboratively in groups and following classroom rules.
- Assertion: includes confidently putting forth your ideas and opinions, as well as demonstrating self-motivation and overall effort, as well as participating in discussion.
- Responsibility: includes taking charge of yourself and working hard at your learning, as well as following directions, checking work, working independently, organizing materials, beginning and completing work in a timely fashion, and using technology appropriately.
- Empathy: includes listening to others and understanding how they might respond to words or actions.
- Self-Control: includes thinking before acting, as well as staying on task.
For more information, we encourage you to visit the Responsive Classroom website to access videos, articles, and at-home resources.